So what in the world is FAFSA anyway? FAFSA is the first five letters of a very important phrase:
Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Here’s a link to the FAFSA website: https://fafsa.ed.gov/.
Five Fetching Facts for Frequenting FAFSA.ed.gov:
- You need to apply for a PIN before you do anything else. Don’t ever forget your PIN.
- May 1 is a BIG DAY. It is ASUN’s Priority Deadline. June 1 Arkansas’ deadline for Arkansas Academic Challenge (Lottery Scholarship) and Go Opportunities Grant. You must complete the FAFSA to apply for this scholarship and grant.
- School Year is very important. The 2015-16 school year means July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016. The 2014-15 School year refers to July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2015. When you log in to your FAFSA account, always be aware of the SCHOOL YEAR you have selected.
- You can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT). You don’t have to worry about making mistakes entering your tax information on your FAFSA. If you use the IRS DRT and don’t change any of the retrieved information in your FAFSA, you won’t need to provide tax transcripts if you’re selected for verification.
- Keep in mind FAFSA is FREE. FAFSA is free and always will be. So if you are asked to make a payment with your online submission, do not do it. You are at the wrong place.
If you have questions or need help completing the FAFSA feel free to contact your ASUN Financial Aid Office! We are here for you and happy to help!
Dean of Enrollment Services